Rotunda

Visitor Center

The round-shaped, yurt-like, purpose-built panorama building was designed by architect István Novák, and erected between 1982-1992. By investing a total of 640 million HUF with the help of EU funding amounting to 463 million HUF, the Rotunda and its surroundings have undergone a major upgrade in 2010, including a new roof, two elevators, accessible restrooms, a new gift shop and snack bar, and a total of 880 m2 area of new and renewed exhibitions. Visitor Center levels are now fully accessible with elevators and ramps.

Rotunda: a látogatóközpont

Rotunda

The new permanent and temporary exhibitions of the Rotunda cover the following subjects, among others:

- The Hungarian Conquest: from the time of occupation to the foundation of the Christian Kingdom

- Foundation of the state of Hungary

- Anthropological image of the Hungarian ancestors

- The lord and people of the Csengele Cumans: rare archeaological findings from the first authentically excavated grave of a Cuman commander in Hungary, and

- The monastery and settlement of Szer.

The continually updated, interactive exhibits of the Rotunda are living sources of information that enhances a deeper understanding and enjoyment of the Historical Heritage Park’s features.

Tourinform

under Construction

The Feszty Panorama

Tourist attraction since 1894

The word "panorama" was coined by the Scottish painter Robert Barker in 1792 to describe his paintings of Edinburgh shown on a cylindrical surface. Barker\'s Panorama was hugely successful, and by the 1880s the Panorama emerged as a new form of entertainment that grabbed the fascination of the public. The main idea behind this genre is that the visitor observes the panorama from a raised viewing platform in the center of the cyclorama, with a diorama in front of the canvas. The canvas and the diorama is synchronised in a way that creates the illusion of a real landscape.

Hungarian painter Árpád Feszty decided to paint a panorama in 1891. To create the massive artwork that depicts a wide, all-encompassing view of the arrival of the Hungarians into the Carpathian basin, Feszty enlisted over a dozen artists, traveled to the site, and sketched the scenes. They completed the work between 1893 and 1894.

As noted earlier, "The Arrival of the Hungarians" was among the most visited and popular attractions at the Budapest World\'s Fair in 1896, and was also introduced at the Greater Britain Exhibition in 1899. Upon its return to Budapest in 1909, it was placed in a temporary wooden building, which was hit by a bomb in 1944. The painting was severly damaged, and the remaining pieces were first cut into strips and stored on wooden rolls, and later they were handed over to the National Gallery.

In 1970 a governmental decree was issued about the construction of a Memorial Park in Ópusztaszer. It was around this time that the idea arose to restore and display the panorama painting. Restored between 1991 and 1995 by Polish artists, the Feszty panorama attracted some 3 million 250 thousand visitors between 1995 and 2005, and was closed briefly in December 2009.

Following the Rotunda development project, plus restoration, maintenance, and cleaning, the panorama reopened to the public in April 2010. The core of the Rotunda exhibits takes up two levels of view, now with 2 costumed warriors added to the faux terrain leading up to the 15 m high and 120 m long (590 in × 4,700 in) circular painting to complete a 3D effect. A new, glass tiled path over the diorama, and modern light and sound technology complete the experience. The 4 millionth visitor of the Feszty panorama is expected in summer 2010.

Exhibitions
The Monastery and Settlement of Szer
The Hungarian Conquest
Promenade 1896
The Lord and People of the Csengele Cumans
Our Ancestor
Waxmuseum
Gift Shop

Feszty Gift Shop

under Construction